Introducing our spotlight oil - Lavender
What memories or experiences do you have with lavender?
Does it remind you of Grandma perhaps? Does it have an association for you with France? Or perhaps you were given some products with lavender essential oil or fragrance in them.
I've met people who have fond memories of lavender and sometimes not so fond. I usually find these memories are related to the synthetic kind of lavender, rest assured that's not what we're talking about here.
The History of Lavender
Lavender has been used and cherished for centuries for its unmistakable aroma and myriad of benefits. In ancient times, the Egyptians and Romans used Lavender for bathing, relaxation, cooking, and as a perfume. Its calming and relaxing qualities continue to be Lavender’s most notable attributes.
The primary benefits of lavender are wide and varied making it one of our top three essential oils every home should have.
- Soothes skin
- Relaxing aroma
- Promotes calm, relaxed feelings
How we use lavender in our home
- We have a diluted rollerball we use if anyone gets a bug, ant bit etc so help soothe the skin, we apply to the affected area (for both adults and children) and often down the spine of our children (aged 8 and 7) to help soothe and calm the emotions from any pain and shock.
- We love using lavender as a base for many of our daytime and night time diffuser blends. Even on it's own it's fantastic for sleep support.
- I love making gifts for people and a 'self love' rollerball of Lavender, Bergamot, Ylang Ylang and Geranium is a stunning gift for a girlfriend, sister, sister-in law, mother, mother in law, work colleague or friend. I dilute according to my personal preference and top up with fractionated coconut oil.
- It may suprise you to learn that lavender has many benefits making it a great option for a DIY cleaner! I sometimes use lavender in my multi-purpose cleaning sprays.
- I love making lavender pillow mist sprays. This is so incredibly simply and easy and once made up you can spray over pillows or bed to help create a calming and peaceful atmosphere for the bedroom.
- We love to use lavender on skin. I will often make up a little bowl of carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil and add a few drops of lavender then rub it all over my body. I even use it on my face (as always use your intuition on this). Great on dry, cracked heals too, I will often add frankinsence which is also renowned for being good for skin.
- I have the doTERRA unscented hand and body moisturizer, when I feel like something a bit richer on my body I'll add a few drops to this and massage into my skin.
- If our kids are unsettled I'll often add a few drops of lavender to some carrier oil and give them a back or foot rub, downward stroked, we find this calming, soothing and relaxing and it helps them drift off to dream land.
- Lavender is perfect in my DIY gifts such as DIY pot pouri, DIY body butter, DIY lip balm, DIY bath salts, DIY body scrubs. They are always well loved and smell 100 times more amazing than anything you can purchase from a shop, not to mention they are hand-made with love.
- We have an after sun spritz ready to go in summertime in case anyone catches a bit too much sun, we also add in frankinsence and peppermint and find the lavender is wonderfully soothing and supportive for the skin.
It would probably be easier to list the ways we don't use lavender. It truly is the swiss army knife of oils. If you are ready to purchase Doterra Lavender Oil you can do so here. It is also available in many of our enrolment kits in our shop.
Directions for use:
Cautions: Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.
Please note - some information shared in this post has been taken from the doTERRA Australia website product information for Lavender