Posted on August 03 2018
Introducing our spotlight oil - Lemon
What do you associate with lemon? When you think of lemon or the aroma of lemons how does it make you feel? As for me, it makes me smile, I think immediately of the colour yellow and I feel happy!
All about lemon
Lemon essential oil is extracted from the lemon rinds, or peel of the lemon. The lemon rinds are cold pressed to produce lemon essential oil. Cold pressing is typically used for citrus oils when producing essential oils. While other distillation processes use heat, the process of cold pressing merely squeezes the oil from the rind, with the help of mechanical pressure.
Lemon is an incredibly versatile oil which can be used in a huge range of ways making it one of our top three essential oils every home should have along with lavender and peppermint.
- Crisp, clean refreshing aroma for diffusion or use on surfaces.
- Nature's clean crisp scent to promote feelings of clarity and invigoration.
How we use lemon in our home
- Lemon is our go to oil for DIY cleaning products. A bit of lemon added to the dishwasher or washing machine - awesome sparkles! A DIY glass or mirror cleaning - add lemon! DIY fridge cleaner - that's right - we use lemon again!
- Lemon is fantastic for getting those annoying sticky labels of things. Add a few drops to any sticker/sticky residue, run with your nails or a tissue and voila - job done without the elbow grease.
- I love to add a few drops of lemon to still, sparkling or soda water for a refreshing burst of flavour.
- Lemon is in fact fantastic for skin!* Lemon oil can help exfoliate your skin. When incorporated into your skincare routine, Lemon oil can help give your complexion a refreshed, healthy looking glow. To make your own homemade exfoliant scrub, combine 4–5 drops of doTERRA Lemon essential oil to a small amount of oatmeal and water.
- Lemon is incredibly versatile in diffuser blends and often features in our daytime diffuser blends to add a little bit of happy and sunshine! Due to the chemical makeup of this oil, it has been shown to help improve mood.
- Lemon is a great oil for using in baking and cooking! From cakes, to salad dressings to marinades lemon comes in very handy in our home when we don't want to pay an arm and a leg for lemons or when none are freely available. I often add it to icings for cake, muffins, dips, pestos and more, the list goes on!
Directions for use:
Disclosure - Please note - some information shared in this post has been taken from the doTERRA Australia website product information for Lemon.